The Lyon Firm is proud to serve the legal needs of Cincinnati, the State of Ohio, the Commonwealth of Kentucky and, when permitted, national clients. Founded on the principles of protecting the public through civil action and enforcing accountability, Joseph Lyon opened the Lyon Firm in the fall of 2006 focusing his practice in the areas of product liability, pharmaceutical and toxic mass tort litigation, medical malpractice, general personal injury, and Veteran’s Disability Benefits. Joe is rated a 10/10 by AVVO and has been selected as a Top 100 Trial Lawyer in Ohio by The National Trial Lawyer Association. Furthermore, his peers have selected him as a “Rising Star” in Ohio Super Lawyers in 2012, 2013, and 2014. In 11 years of practice, Joe has resolved 7 (single-event) cases in excess of seven figures and has represented hundreds of clients in 13 national mass tort settlements. Joe has published and lectured locally and nationally on a variety of personal injury and mass tort issues. Most recently, he has lectured in San Diego, Louisville, and Baltimore at American Association for Justice events on Testosterone Replacement Therapy Litigation (“TRT”) and is serving as the co-chair for the AAJ TRT Litigation Group. Joe is also serving as the chair for the Ohio Association for Justice Product Liability Section.
MASS TORT EXPERIENCE
The Lyon Firm has represented or is currently representing individuals in the following cases:
State Consolidated Actions
Multi-District Federal Litigation
MDL 1598 In Re: Ephedra Products Liability Litigation
MDL 1928 In Re: Trasylol Products Liability Litigation
MDL 1785 In Re: Bausch & Lomb Inc. Contact Lens Solution Products Liability
MDL 2226 In Re: Darvocet, Darvon, and Propoxyphene Products Liability Litigation
COMMON BENEFIT WORK
The Lyon Firm has worked or is working alongside Plaintiff’s Steering Committee in the following cases:
MDL 2545 In Re: Testosterone Replacement Therapy Products Liability Litigation; Currently, Joe is a member of Plaintiffs’ Discovery Committee.
MDL 2327 In Re: Ethicon, Inc. Pelvic Repair Systems Products Liability Litigation: Currently The Lyon Firm is assisting PSC in document review and coding.
MDL 1598 In Re: Ephedra Products Liability Litigation: Performed document review; assisted in 30(b)(6) depositions of Defendant GNC; assisted in preparing bellwether case for trial.
POSITIVE CHANGES THROUGH LITIGATION
The Lyon Firm is committed to the local and national community and has witnessed positive changes resulting from its prior and current cases. Joe takes tremendous pride in the ability to represent individuals, working for them, to create a safer and more secure health care system and safer products for the future. For example, dangerous drugs such as Vioxx and Trasylol have been removed from the market. Toyota has agreed to change parts of its manufacturing process to ensure better quality in its vehicles. Lap Belts are no longer allowed to be placed into center seats. Landlords are abating lead in housing projects. Medical standards of care are improving across the board.
Joseph m. Lyon –ATTORNEY
Chicago-Kent College of Law , Illinois Institute of Technology, Chicago, IL, J.D. January 2003.
- Federal Judicial Externship: United States District Court for the Northern District of Illinois, Judge William Hibbler; (January 2001-September 2001).
- Law Review: Member of Chicago-Kent Journal of International and Comparative Law
- Loyola University, Baltimore MD, B.A. in Political Science 1999
- International Study:
- Katholieke Universiteit, Leuven, Belgium September, 1997-June 1998
- St. Louis University, Madrid, Spain September 1998-December 1998.
- International Study:
Admissions to Practice Law
- The Supreme Court of Ohio 2003
- United States District Court for the Southern District of Ohio 2005
- The Supreme Court of Kentucky 2011
- United States District Court of Colorado 2011
- United States Court of Appeals for Veterans Claims 2012
- United States District Court for the Northern District of Ohio 2013
- United States District Court for Eastern District of Kentucky 2014
- United States District Court for the Northern District of Illinois 2014
Publications & Presentations:
- Ethics of Mass Tort Marketing, AAJ Summer Convention (2014)
- Case Selection and Criteria for Testosterone Replacement Therapy, AAJ Summer Convention (2014)
- Specific Causation for Testosterone Replacement Therapy, AAJ JPML Mass Tort Update (2014)
- Causes of Action for Testosterone Replacement Therapy, AAJ Seminar (2014)
- Parallel Claims & Reporting Requirements: New Motivation for Drug Manufacturers to Give Adequate Warning. Ohio Association for Justice Product Liability Section (2013)
- Where to Begin Your Search for the Smoking Gun: Organizing Your Strategy and Informal Discovery. National Business Institute (2010)
- Written Discovery Strategies. National Business Institute (2010)
- A Separate Piece in Seeking Justice: Civil Themes and Skills in Public Defense. AAJ, Criminal Law Section, Vol. 16, No.2 Winter (2009)
- The Weight of Expert Testimony. National Business Institute (2009)
- Punitive Damages: Current Trends and Strategies. National Business Institute (2009)
- Jury Selection: Your First Trial. Northern Kentucky College of Law (2009)
- Utilizing ATLA Resources for Law Students. University of Cincinnati College of Law (2003)
Benjamin Greenberg – Law Clerk
Ben is in his third year at the Northern Kentucky University, Chase College of Law. Born and raised in Cincinnati, Ben attended the University of Pennsylvania and received a Bachelor’s degree in Philosophy with a minor in English, returning to Cincinnati to work in education policy for two years before returning to school to pursue his law degree.
As a clerk at the Lyon Firm, Ben has worked on numerous projects including motion and complaint drafting for products liability and automotive injury cases, document review for MDL cases such as Transvaginal Mesh as well as general legal research in the field of catastrophic injury law. In addition to typical clerking duties, Ben frequently reviews medical literature and institutional studies, recall notices and news articles in maintenance of the Lyon Firm website’s growing collection of resources for attorneys, medical professionals and concerned citizens.
Finally, Ben maintains the website’s litigation area resources including updating tort-reform statutes and relevant state and federal case law. In addition to law, Ben is interested in local politics having volunteered for and staffed Cincinnati City Council Campaigns for two consecutive cycles.