PELVIC MESH (TRANSVAGINAL) LITIGATION COORDINATED IN WEST VIRGINIA
The U.S. Panel on Multidistrict Litigation (“MDL”) recently granted motions to coordinate and transfer the pending federal Pelvic Mesh cases involving Johnson & Johnson (Ethicon), Boston Scientific Corp. and American Medical Systems, Inc. to the Southern District of West Virginia, under Chief Judge Joseph R. Goodwin.1 This type of centralization is common in mass tort litigation and important in order to save costs for both parties, conserve judicial resources, and avoid the risk of inconsistent rulings. Prior to this Order, Judge Goodwin has been overseeing an MDL involving claims against C.R. Bard.
More than 500,000 women undergo surgery a year to treat pelvic organ prolapse or stress urinary incontinence.2 Between 2008 and 2009 the FDA received 3,000 adverse event reports claimed to be associated with pelvic mesh products.3 There are 168 transvaginal mesh products on the market to treat pelvic organ prolapse and stress urinary incontinence. The MDL will only focus on a very small number of these products:
- Johnson & Johnson (Ethicon): Gynecare Prolift Total, Anterior, and Posterior Pelvic Floor Repair Systems; Gynecare Prolift + M Total, Anterior and Posterior Pelvic Floor Repair Systems, UltraPro Mesh.
- C.R. Bard: Avaulta Classic, Avaulta Plus, Avaulta Solo Support System, Align Urethal Support System, Align Sling, Pelvisoft, Pelvilace, Pelvicol, Uretex, Bard CollaMend Impant, UGYTEX Dual Knit Mesh, Avaulta Plus BioSynthetic Support System.
- American Medical Systems, Inc. : AMS Apogee Vault Suspension System, AMS SPARC Sling System, AMS Monarc Sling System, AMS BioArc, AMS Lare Pore Polypropylene Mesh, IVS Tunneller, AMS Perigree Vault Suspension System, AMS Elevate with IntePro Lite Prolapse Repair System, AMS Elevate with InteXen LP Prolapse Repair System, Apogee and Perigee Systems with PC Coated IntePro Lite.
- Boston Scientific Corp.: Pinnacle Pelvic Floor Repair Kits, Pinnacle Pelvic Floor Repair Kit II, Pinnacle Pelvic Floor Repair System.
The complications and symptoms alleged with the Pelvic Mesh products include but are not limited to:
- Mesh Erosion through the vaginal epithelium
- Urinary Problems
- Recurrence of Prolapse and/or Incontinence
- Bladder Perforation
- Bowel Perforation
- Vessel Perforation
- Vaginal Scarring
- Mesh erosion into organs and other surrounding tissue.
Thomas & Lyon is investigating cases with the above mentioned products as well as others , including but not limited to Tyco Healthcare Group, L. P’s IVS Tunneller, Transvaginal Tape (TVT) and Coviden UK’s IVS Tunneller Placement Device, IVS Tunneler Intra Vaginal Sling, Parietene Polypropelene Mesh, Surgipro Polypropelene Mesh. If you or a loved one has experienced any of the symptoms listed above or simply have questions about the litigation process and claims related to these products and similar products please contact us. Please ask for Joseph M. Lyon who is heading up this litigation for the firm. Any conversation is protected by attorney client privilege.
1 Transfer Order
2 Victoria L. Handa et al., Progression and Remission of Pelvic Organ Prolapse: A Longitudinal Study of Menapausal Woman, 190 Am. J. Obstrectics Gynecology 27 (2004).
3 FDA Adverse Events Reports
4 See Fn. 2.