Bristol Community College Data Breach Investigation
The Lyon Firm is actively involved in class action personal privacy and data theft cases and is currently investigating Bristol Community College data breach claims for plaintiffs nationwide.
Bristol allegedly discovered that an unauthorized individual hacked into the college IT system and obtained access to personal information in December 2022. Personal information was removed by the unauthorized individual, which may have included the following:
- Social Security numbers
- Taxpayer identification numbers
- Dates of birth
- Driver’s license numbers
- Bank account information
- Credit or debit card information
- Passport numbers
- Medical information
- Medicare/Medicaid Number
- Health insurance policy information
Joe Lyon is a highly-rated data breach lawyer and Privacy Attorney representing plaintiffs nationwide in class action security breach lawsuits.
Can You Sue Following the Bristol Community College Data Breach?
Entities that collect and store data have a duty to protect personal information to the best of their ability. When they are negligent, and a data theft incident occurs, they may be liable for the following:
- Improperly monitoring data security systems for existing intrusions
- Not ensuring that vendors with access to computer systems and data employ reasonable security procedures
- Improperly training employees in handling emails containing personal data and maintain adequate email security practices
- Failure to implement technical policies and procedures to allow electronic data access only to individuals or software programs granted access rights
- Failure to implement procedures to review records of information system activity regularly, such as audit logs, access reports and security incident tracking reports
- Improperly protecting against reasonably anticipated threats or hazards to the security or integrity of stored data
An experienced class action privacy attorney can determine if you are eligible to file a data breach lawsuit or join a class of plaintiffs. Lawyers investigating the matter can assist in determining the following:
- Did Bristol Community College fail to adopt security safeguards that would have prevented a breach?
- Did Bristol notify customers as soon as it learned of the incident?
- Did they provide a complete list of all individuals impacted?
- Did they provide security in line with industry standards?
What Should You Do After a Data Breach?
Regardless of the reason for a security breach, victims have the right to file a claim against a company for failing to protect their information. All companies and organizations must exercise reasonable care in protecting patient information, and if they do not, they can be held liable for the damages that result, including identity theft.
Individuals impacted in the Bristol data breach incident:
We would like to speak with you about your privacy rights and potential legal remedies in response to this data security incident. Please fill out the contact form, below, or contact us by phone.
If you were impacted by a security breach, you may consider taking the following steps to protect your personal information:
- Review the breach notice you received and retain a copy
- Enroll in any free credit monitoring service provided by the breached company
- Change your passwords and security questions for related online accounts
- Review account statements and credit reports for signs of fraud or identity theft
- Contact a credit bureau to request a temporary fraud alert
Security breach plaintiffs and privacy attorneys representing plaintiffs have been able to settle multi-million dollar recoveries. If you or a loved one has received notice of an online security incident affecting you, or suspect signs of identity theft, contact a data theft lawyer for a free consultation.
Individuals can be ruined financially and emotionally, and deserve proper online security measures. But many companies violate privacy laws and consumer rights, and thus face class action lawsuits.
After a data breach turns your life upside down, remember that you are not the only victim. There are millions of Americans who suffer from data privacy events every year, and in turn, seek legal action for compensation and to hold companies accountable for negligent security systems.
If you want more information on current data security litigation and how to file a class action lawsuit, contact The Lyon Firm for a free and confidential Bristol Community College data breach case review.