Fulton Bank Data Breach Investigation
The Lyon Firm is actively involved in class action personal privacy and data theft cases and is currently investigating Fulton Bank data breach claims on behalf of plaintiffs nationwide.
On August 11, 2022, Overby-Seawell Company informed Fulton Bank that it had experienced a data breach in which the sensitive personal identifiable information of the bank’s clients may have been accessed and acquired.
Overby-Seawell provides Fulton Bank and KeyBank ongoing verification that mortgage clients maintain property insurance. Overby-Seawell Company informed Fulton Bank that, on July 5, 2022, an unauthorized actor gained access to its network and acquired sensitive information belonging to Fulton Bank clients.
Fulton Bank is a full-service commercial bank that provides banking services, lending, mortgage, investment management, trust services, and business solutions in the Mid-Atlantic region.
WHAT INFORMATION WAS EXPOSED IN THE DATA BREACH?
Reports suggest that over 100,000 individuals may be impacted and the following information was potentially compromised in the data breach:
- Social Security number
- Loan information
- Insurance policy information
Joe Lyon is a highly-rated data breach lawyer and Privacy Attorney representing plaintiffs nationwide in class action security breach lawsuits.
Can You Sue following the Fulton Bank Data Breach?
Entities that collect and store data have a duty to protect personal information to the best of their ability. When they are negligent, and a data theft incident occurs, they may be liable for the following:
- Improperly monitoring data security systems for existing intrusions
- Not ensuring that vendors with access to computer systems and data employ reasonable security procedures
- Improperly training employees in handling emails containing personal data and maintain adequate email security practices
- Failure to implement technical policies and procedures to allow electronic data access only to individuals or software programs granted access rights
- Failure to implement procedures to review records of information system activity regularly, such as audit logs, access reports and security incident tracking reports
- Improperly protecting against reasonably anticipated threats or hazards to the security or integrity of stored data
An experienced class action privacy attorney can determine if you are eligible to file a data breach lawsuit or join a class of plaintiffs. Lawyers investigating the matter can assist in determining the following:
- Did Fulton Bank fail to adopt security safeguards that would have prevented a breach?
- Did Fulton Bank notify customers as soon as it learned of the incident?
- Did Fulton provide a complete list of all individuals impacted?
- Did the bank provide security in line with industry standards?
What Should You Do Following a Data Breach?
Regardless of the reason for a security breach, victims have the right to file a claim against a company for failing to protect their information. All companies and organizations must exercise reasonable care in protecting patient information, and if they do not, they can be held liable for the damages that result, including identity theft.
Individuals impacted in the Fulton Bank breach:
We would like to speak with you about your privacy rights and potential legal remedies in response to this data security incident. Please fill out the contact form, below, or contact us by phone.
If you were impacted by a data breach, you may consider taking the following steps to protect your personal information:
- Review the breach notice you received and retain a copy
- Enroll in any free credit monitoring service provided by the breached company
- Change your passwords and security questions for related online accounts
- Review account statements and credit reports for signs of fraud or identity theft
- Contact a credit bureau to request a temporary fraud alert
Security breach plaintiffs and privacy attorneys representing plaintiffs have been able to settle multi-million dollar recoveries. If you or a loved one has received notice of an online security incident affecting you, or suspect signs of identity theft, contact a data theft lawyer for a free consultation.
Individuals can be ruined financially and emotionally, and deserve proper online security measures. But many companies violate privacy laws and consumer rights, and thus face class action lawsuits.
After a data breach turns your life upside down, remember that you are not the only victim. There are millions of Americans who suffer from data privacy events every year, and in turn, seek legal action for compensation and to hold companies accountable for negligent security systems.
If you want more information on current data security litigation and how to file a data theft class action lawsuit, contact The Lyon Firm for a free and confidential Fulton Bank data breach case review.