P&G Recalls Old Spice and Secret Aerosol Deodorant Products
Procter & Gamble (P&G) is voluntarily recalling some Old Spice and Secret antiperspirant products after benzene was detected in samples. Benzene is a known carcinogen, that can lead to cancers in severely acute or chronic exposures.
With deodorant and antiperspirants, chronic use is likely, and if you or a loved one has been diagnosed with cancer following the use of the following products, contact an attorney to review:
- Old Spice High Endurance AP Spray Pure Sport 12/6oz
- Old Spice Hardest Working Collection Inv Spray Stronger Swagger
- Old Spice Hardest Working Collection Inv Spray Pure Sport Plus
- Old Spice Hardest Working Collection Inv Spray Ult Captain
- Old Spice Below Deck Powder Spray Unscented 12/4.9oz
- Old Spice Below Deck Powder Spray Fresh Air 12/4.9oz
- Secret Aerosol Powder Fresh Twin Pack
- Secret Aerosol Powder Fresh
- Secret Fresh Collection Inv Spray Lavender 12/3.8oz
- Secret Fresh Collection Inv Spray Water Lily 12/3.8oz
- Secret Fresh Collection Inv Spray Light Essentials 12/3.8oz
- Secret Fresh Collection Inv Spray Rose 12/3.8oz
- Secret Outlast Inv Spray Completely Clean 12/3.8oz
- Secret Outlast Inv Spray Protecting Powder 12/3.8oz
- Old Spice Pure Sport 2021 Gift Set
Old Spice & Secret Recall
The P&G deodorant recall announcement said the company “has not received any reports of adverse events related to this recall and is conducting this recall out of an abundance of caution.”
But benzene is known to be very toxic, and some side effects could be delayed as the body attempts to rid itself of the toxins. Exposure to even very small amounts of benzene over an extended period of time can potentially lead to health problems like anemia, myelodysplastic syndromes and cancers like leukemia.
The U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA) posted the recall announcement on its website, which provides a list of the contaminated and recalled products. All of the recalled products have been packaged in aerosol cans and have expiry dates through September 2023. At the moment, P&G says no other Old Spice and Secret products are impacted by this safety issue.
The P&G Old Spice and secret recall isn’t the first product recall due to benzene this year. Other consumer products have been recalled in recent months due to benzene contamination concerns, including several brands of sunscreen, also packaged in aerosol spray canisters. ArtNaturals hand sanitizer was also recalled due to benzene contamination.
The Lyon Firm is an experienced toxic exposure attorney investigating toxic consumer products, recalled or still on the market. Filing a product liability claim can help pay for medical care and compensate consumers for physical and emotional damages.