Roundup Warning Settlement
The Lyon Firm is reviewing the recent Bayer Roundup warning settlement. The Firm is also still investigating Roundup exposure cancer personal injury claims on behalf of victims nationwide.
As part of a new class action settlement, Bayer (Monsanto) has agreed to pay $45 million for allegedly failing to warn customers of the adverse effects of using Roundup weed killer products.
The Roundup warning settlement is unrelated to the pending toxic exposure personal injury claims filed by consumers diagnosed with cancer after using Roundup.
The lawsuit, filed in 2019 claimed Monsanto promoted and sold its weed and grass killer products without disclosing potential cancer risks.
The products all included the active ingredient glyphosate, a common herbicide classified as “probably carcinogenic to humans” by the World Health Organization’s International Agency for Research on Cancer (IARC).
Monsanto denies any wrongdoing but in 2021 agreed to pay to resolve the case. On June 21, 2022, the maximum payout of $45 million was approved.
Which Bayer Products are Included in the Settlement?
In 2021, Bayer announced it would phase out glyphosate from its retail lawn care products by 2023, to limit liability and not because of safety concerns.
Monsanto herbicide products containing glyphosate are named in the agreement, including the following:
- Roundup® Ready-to-Use Weed & Grass Killer (all applicators)
- Roundup® Ready-to-Use Weed & Grass Killer Plus (all applicators)
- Roundup® Weed & Grass Killer Concentrate Plus
- Roundup® Weed & Grass Killer Super Concentrate
- Roundup® Ready-to-Use Poison Ivy Plus Tough Brush Killer
- Roundup® Ready-to-Use Wild Blackberry Plus Vine and Brush Killer
- Roundup® Concentrate Poison Ivy Plus Tough Brush Killer
- Roundup® Concentrate Wild Blackberry Plus Vine and Brush Killer
- Roundup® Ready-to-Use Extended Control Weed & Grass Killer Plus Weed Preventer
- Roundup® Concentrate Extended Control Weed & Grass Killer Plus Weed Preventer
- Roundup® Ready-to-Use Max Control 365
- Roundup® Concentrate Max Control 365
- Roundup® Weed & Grass Killer Sure Shot Foam
- Roundup® Precision Gel Weed & Grass Killer
- Roundup® Pro Concentrate (2.5-gallon size)
- HDX® Weed & Grass Killer Ready-to-Use
- HDX® Weed & Grass Killer Concentrate
- Ace® Ready-to-Use Weed & Grass Killer
- Ace® Weed & Grass Killer Concentrate
Where do the Roundup Toxic Exposure Cases Stand?
In 2020, Bayer agreed to pay $10.9 billion to settle almost 100,000 lawsuits from individuals claiming Roundup and other Monsanto weed killers caused them to develop cancer.
In 2018, a San Francisco jury awarded $289 million to a groundskeeper who developed late-stage non-Hodgkin lymphoma after using Roundup products.
In March 2019, a federal jury awarded $80 million to another California plaintiffs after determining Roundup was a factor in causing his lymphoma.
Another jury awarded more than $2 billion to a California couple in their 70s who had both been diagnosed with the same illness after using Roundup for many years.
If you or a loved one has been diagnosed with a cancer related to the use of Roundup or another chemical, contact The Lyon Firm for a free consultation.