Why are Data Breach Cases important?
Without data breach class actions, large corporate defendants would be able to cause small amounts of harm over a large group of individuals without any risk of monetary penalty.
Holding companies accountable for poor cybersecurity and data theft incidents helps ensure that consumers are better protected in the future.
What should you do following a data breach?
Have you received a data breach notification letter indicating your personal information may have been compromised? Following a data breach incident, victims should consider talking to a legal expert, and move quickly to take the following steps to help prevent identity theft and fraud:
- Confirm the data breach by contacting the “breached” company
- Learn exactly what kind of personal data was compromised
- Monitor your accounts for fraudulent activity
- Change your logins and passwords
- Keep a detailed record of suspicious activity
- Contact your bank and cancel credit cards if they have been leaked
- Stay alert for signs of future identity theft
- Sign up for a credit monitoring service