Chicago-Kent College of Law , Illinois Institute of Technology, Chicago, IL, J.D. January 2003.
Loyola University Maryland, B.A. Political Science (1999)
- Federal Judicial Externship: United States District Court for the Northern District of Illinois, Judge William Hibbler; (January 2001-September 2001)
- Law Review: Member of Chicago-Kent Journal of International and Comparative Law
- Katholieke Universiteit, Leuven, Belgium September, 1997-June 1998
- St. Louis University, Madrid, Spain September 1998-December 1998
- The Supreme Court of Ohio (2003)
- United States District Court for the Southern District of Ohio (2005)
- The Supreme Court of Kentucky (2011)
- United States District Court of Colorado (2011)
- United States Court of Appeals for Veterans Claims (2012)
- United States District Court for the Northern District of Ohio (2013)
- United States District Court for Eastern District of Kentucky (2014)
- United States District Court for the Northern District of Illinois (2014)
- United States Court of Appeals for the 6th Circuit (2015)
Current MDL Cases
- In Re Stryker LFIT V 40 New Jersey Consolidated State Litigation
- MDL 2741 In Re: Roundup Product Liability Litigation
- MDL 2738 In Re: J&J Talcum Powder Litigation
- MDL 2734 In Re: Abilify (Aripiprazole) Products Liability Litigation
- MDL 2244 In Re: Depuy Orthopaedics, Inc. Pinnacle Hip Implant Litigation
- MDL 1748 In Re: Testosterone Replacement Therapy Products Liability Litigation.
- MDL 2591 In Re: Syngenta AG MIR 162 Corn Litigation
- MDL 2391 In Re Biomet: M2A Magnum Hip Implant Product Liability Litigation
- MDL 2197 In Re: Depuy Orthopeadics, Inc. ASR Hip Implant Product Liability Litigation
- MDL 2502 In Re: Lipitor (Atorvastain Calcium) Products Liability Litigation
- MDL 2327 In Re: Ethicon, Inc. Pelvic Repair Systems Products Liability Litigation
- MDL 2325 In Re: AMS, Inc., Pelvic Repair System Products Liability Litigation
- MDL 2187 In Re: C.R. Bard, Inc., Pelvic Repair System Products Liability Litigation
- MDL 2387 In Re: Coloplast Corp. Pelvic Support Systems Products Liability Litigation
- MDL 2326 In Re: Boston Scientific Corp. Pelvic Repair Systems Products Liability Litigation
- MDL 2299 In Re: Actos (Pioglitazone) products Liability Litigation
- MDL 1842 In Re: Kugel Mesh Hernia Patch Products Liability Litigation
MDL Common Benefit Work
MDL 2545 In Re: Testosterone Replacement Therapy Products Liability Litigation; Currently, Mr. Lyon is a member of Plaintiffs’ Discovery Committee and assisting in document review and depositions preparation of key marketing witnesses.
MDL 2327 In Re: Ethicon, Inc. Pelvic Repair Systems Products Liability Litigation: Currently The Lyon Firm is assisting PSC in document review and coding for deposition and trial preparation.
MDL 1598 In Re: Ephedra Products Liability Litigation: Performed document review; assisted in 30(b)(6) depositions of Defendant GNC; assisted in preparing bellwether case for trial.
In The News
NBC / Associated Press: Interview with Mr. Lyon Featured in Investigative Report on Stolen Body Part Scandal.
Cincinnati Enquirer: Mr. Lyon Featured as Council in Industrial Lead Paint Case.
Lawyers & Settlements News: Mr. Lyon Interviewed on behalf of Testosterone Gel Patients.
The Lyon Firm Represents Three Cancer Victims in an Occupational Injury Lawsuit Filed Against GE Aviation.
Lyon Firm files suit against ConAgra for exploding PAM cooking spray causing severe burn injury.
Presentations & Publications
- Mass Torts in State Court. OAJ Summer Convention, Columbus, OH (2017)
- Managing Client Expectations. OAJ Summer Convention. Columbus, OH (2015)
- “The Wheels of Justice”: Mass Torts in State Court. Ohio Association for Justice Product Liability Section Newsletter (2015)
- Ethics of Mass Tort Marketing, AAJ Summer Convention (2014)
- Case Selection and Criteria for Testosterone Replacement Therapy, AAJ Summer Convention (2014)
- Low T: The Creation of a Disease: A Medical Literature Survey. Ohio Association for Justice Product Liability Section Newsletter (2014)
- Specific Causation for Testosterone Replacement Therapy, AAJ JPML Mass Tort Update (2014)
- Causes of Action for Testosterone Replacement Therapy, AAJ Seminar (2014)
- Parallel Claims & Reporting Requirements: New Motivation for Drug Manufacturers to Give Adequate Warning. Ohio Association for Justice Product Liability Section Newsletter (2013)
- Where to Begin Your Search for the Smoking Gun: Organizing Your Strategy and Informal Discovery. National Business Institute (2010)
- Written Discovery Strategies. National Business Institute (2010)
- A Separate Piece in Seeking Justice: Civil Themes and Skills in Public Defense. AAJ, Criminal Law Section, Vol. 16, No.2 Winter (2009)
- The Weight of Expert Testimony. National Business Institute (2009)
- Punitive Damages: Current Trends and Strategies. National Business Institute (2009)
- Jury Selection: Your First Trial. Northern Kentucky College of Law (2009)
- Utilizing ATLA Resources for Law Students. University of Cincinnati College of Law (2003)
Notable Single Event Cases
Gray v. KTM, Inc. et al (2017) (N.D. of Miss. Case No 3:17-cv-00092) Lead Counsel. Complex Product Liability case involving a defective throttle on a motorbike. The plaintiff suffered a catastrophic amputation of his left arm due to the defective throttle causing an unintended acceleration. Confidential Settlement.
Lemon v. FMK Firearms, Inc. et al. (2016) E. Dist. of KY Case NO 2:15-cv-00128. Lead Counsel. Complex Product Liability case involving a defective handgun that was subject to a recall due to drop-fire risks. The plaintiff suffered severe injuries including compartment syndrome when the gun was accidentally dropped and fired. Confidential settlement.
Waters v. F&P America MFG, Inc. (2016) Miami County, Ohio Case No. 15-103. Lead Counsel. Workplace intentional tort claim involving a corporate policy to circumvent a perimeter cage designed to protect workers from hydraulic equipment malfunction. The plaintiff suffered catastrophic amputation of multiple fingers when a machine misfired. Confidential settlement.
Estate of Ralph Jamison v. Continental Appliances, Inc. (2013) Adams County, Ohio Case No. CVB 20120499. Lead Counsel. Complex Product Liability case involving a defective propane wall heater that resulted in severe burn injuries and Wrongful Death. Confidential Settlement.
Estate of Joseph Ponsi v. RCD Sales, Inc. (2012) Ashland County, Ohio Case No. 12-CVI-017). Lead Counsel. Dealership negligence involving the sale of a recreational towing vehicle that exceeded towing capacity of the vehicle resulting in rollover accident and Wrongful Death. Confidential Settlement
Armesia Thomas v. General Motors et al. (2011) E. Dist. of KY Case No. 08-228-ART. Lead Counsel. Complex Product Liability action involving claims of defective seat belt design resulting in catastrophic spinal cord injury to 19-year-old female. Confidential settlement with General Motors and Takata Defendants.
Michael Urchak v. Donnell Ford Lincoln Mercury of Salem, Inc. (2010) Mahoning County, Ohio Case No 08-CV-3700). Lead Counsel. Dealership negligence causing mechanical failure and loss of control of vehicle resulting in spinal cord injury. Confidential Settlement.
Charles & Jennifer Briner, Individually and on Behalf of Christopher Briner, A Minor v Daimler Chrysler Corporation. (2007) (Richland County, Ohio Case No. 05-CV-371). Second Chair. Complex Product Liability action involving claims of defective seat belt buckle resulting in inadvertent buckle release and catastrophic brain injury to a minor. Confidential settlement.
Marlene Lewis et al v. Alex Saba,, M.D. (2006) Hamilton County, Ohio, Case No. A0501599. Second Chair. Medical malpractice claims arising from the failure to diagnose breast cancer resulting in cancer progression, loss of survival, and additional invasive medical care. Confidential Settlement.
Honors and Awards
- Super Lawyers (Class Action and Mass Torts) 2018, 2019
- Super Lawyers, Rising Stars (Class Action and Mass Torts) (2012, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016)
- National Trial Lawyers: Top 100 Trial Lawyers for Ohio (2009-Present)
- AVVO: 10/10 Rating